|Penang Travel Guide | Things To Do In Air Itam Dam|
Penang Travel Guide - Air Itam DamWhen it comes to Air Itam township in Penang travel guide, it is more popularly known for assam laksa (food) and Kek Lok Si Pagoda - a commercialized temple, that is also an extremely popular tourist destination. Surprisingly not many know that on the same winding tarmac track heading up to this well-known Buddhist sacred place also takes one to the best kept secrets of Penang - Air Itam Dam!
Nestled against the peaks on Pearl of The Orient, Air Itam Dam is the first dam constructed on the island. Completed in 1962, this water catchment sits above 700 m above sea level, supplying water to most residential areas on the central and northern districts of Penang.
Lush greenery in a tranquil surrounding, there are so much that Air Itam Dam can offer. To my surprise, it is under-publicized as a tourist attraction in Penang. Good in a way that this place retains its identity and charm being low profile. The only downside is very little information that speaks about this little gem. Hence here is your Penang travel guide, listing the top 7 things to do in Air Itam Dam.
1. Hiking. Some folks like to take the dirt path, sweat and hike up. From the foothill, it takes less than 40 minutes on average and you'd reach the playground area of the Air Itam Dam (near flag posts) -- on the opposite direction of the main entrance.
2. Biking. Instead driving up, there are folks who bike up (and down). Make sure you take all the safety measures as the road is narrow and winding.
3. Brisk walking/jogging/running. Either clock wise or anti clock wise direction, the paved path that circling the dam is shady once you have stepped into the virgin zone. Be warned though, some parts share the road with motorized vehicles such as trucks, cars or motorcycles.
4. Capturing moments of nature. More than a dozen of stuff to photograph if you like to take pictures. From moss to ferns, dam to 'waterfall' and the skyline of George Town, the opportunity is endless.
5. Home to nature. Huge field for botany, biology and ecology study. Great place to learn about parasite, host, fire ants, butterflies, birds, monkeys and more. Abundance.
6. Rest and relax at tea kiosk and playground. Surprise to many that inside in oasis, there is a spot with monkey bars, slides, tunnels and swings about 100 m away from main entrance. Plus rooted rest area with chairs and tables, that welcomes both big and small kids. Just a few steps uphill from the flag posts. If you're not sure where precisely, ask the security personnel at the main entrance.
7. Feast on nature. Sit on elevated spot, let your senses peeled to nature and learn more about the 'waterfall' as you step closer to the source. You may head uphill to pick a seat. Pretty, breezy and be surprised that you're still on the bustling Penang!
Opening hours is 6 am to 7 pm daily. Public toilets are built adjacent to the car park. They are free, dried and very clean. Air Itam Dam is also wheel-friendly.
Direction on Google Map: